Monday, May 26, 2008

Niswan

Yesterday I was traveling by bus back to Amman... and as usual the bus driver picked some mediocre songs to play for us...
The singer name was "Faris Karm" who was singing a song about him being a womanizer and he was boasting about it... and he used "Niswan" to refer to women...
These words that caught my hearing
[آنا نسونجي
عم بطلع بالنسوان شو بدك مني قلي لك والله اللي ما يحب النسوان الله يبعتله عله
ّI'm a womanizer
I look at women! what do you want from me? Those who don't love women may God curse them]

For one reason or another I hate the usage of this word to refer to women... I find it containing some degradation to women...
Just another song of the long list of songs by men and women that concentrate on loving and looking at women and so on... more and more objectifying women and making their value only on their looks...
I believe that in our societies which despite all the claimed modernization we still look at women as being inferior... as [things] that are created for the pleasure of men... that a man has the right to fall in love with any woman he sees... that women brings happiness [satisfaction] to men...

In Arab societies we do have this problem and I think it is causing more serious problems when men or women consider marriage... where a girl looks for a guy based on more intellectual reasons... guys still look for girls who look more or less like a Barbie... and who are inexperienced and will listen to them and treat them as [ Si elsaeed ]...

I and many of my fellow women have the right to be treated for who we are... and not be treated as niswan where woman x will be enough for a man like woman y if they both look and cook the same...

When will these low values be vanished from our media?
When will we stop feeding men and women with this nonesense?

When will women be free of men's self-acclaimed-supriority?

No comments: