Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Trees



When I first heard that song... something caught my attention...
[[When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall,
We used to love while others used to play.
Don't ask me why, but time has passed us by,
Some one else moved in from far away.

Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small,
And you don't ask the time of day.
But you and I, our love will never die,
But guess we'll cry come first of may.]]

This relationship between people and Christmas trees... and I thought what might it means?
Maybe children tends to believe in a beautiful world, where trees are decorated and where someone who lives far away cares about them and send them gifts... Children live in a fantasy world where everything is so green and everyone loves one another... and that's why they see Christmas trees so tall... but as they grow up... they realize that it's only a vision and not real... and thus the trees now look smaller...
Or Maybe it means that again children believe more in God... and have more faith... and their hearts are filled with love towards everyone including God... but as they grow their faiths get shaken and loose that belief and they only start to believe in themselves and not in miracles...

I don't know what the Bee Gees meant...
Maybe after all they meant what my friend told me when I shared these thoughts with her... she said... maybe they meant it in a straightly physical way... when we are children we are shorter and as we grow we get taller...

I don't know... I guess it depends on how you want to look at it...

1 comment:

Bidoon Sukkar said...

I used to believe that the lights on our Christmas tree used to help Santa find his way to our house. My father always told me that when Santa passed by at night he drew a note on our misty window with his finger to say how much he loved our tree and that our lights where so beautiful that he new our house from far away where he lived. But unfortunately the rain always wiped away Santa’s note before I woke up.
Christmas fantasies where very happy and warm and involved lots of toys and playing. It still has its warm zest until now, but it always comes with a feeling of unexplainable sadness. Memories of those innocent fantasies it might be...