Monday, March 13, 2006

The Spring Wind...

Last Saturday I went to a haiku reading and writing workshop!
What I love most about haiku is the minimalist touch… you have to use less and less words to describe a concrete image… not like other kind of poetry… haiku don’t rely much on metaphors and poetical words… rather it describes a scene or draw an image… with less words as possible… yet somehow it puts you in a totally different poetical mood…
I guess the concept of less is more [Sandy my girl] is quite charming in itself… I totally loved it…
And guess what… I had to write my first haiku! =) well we were asked to write a haiku about the spring! And we had a nice walk around the botanic gardens… a rich place for inspiration… of course I couldn’t resist the temptation of using my cam to [haiku] a new type of poetry!
So here it goes… my first haiku…
[[
The silent grey sky
Showers soft rain
Glossy buds
]]

And to get you more in the mood here is other haikus

[[working at it
and working at it
and still the tall grass grows]] Santoka translated by Cid Corman

[[Outside the station,
tree dense with green oranges.
I put down my case.]] Tobias Hill




This workshop is part of the Middle Eastern Spirituality and Peace Festival… and took place in the Royal Botanic Gardens.

No comments: