Thursday, February 02, 2006

why the sigh....

[[I shall be telling this with a sigh,
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood and I
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference]] Robert Frost

This is my favorite English poem ever… I keep on reciting it over and over… and every time I feel something different… but I always wondered why did he sigh?...
I know her… I know that she is a traveler as well… so I met her… and asked her this… and that was her reply which I’ll try to quote as faithfully as possible…
[[their roads met… so they began traveling together… she enjoyed his company… he was just a new traveler… she felt the changes in him and respect them… he on the other hand was enjoying her company as well… and he was feeling stronger by each day… they went through some rough turns, blocked roads… like any traveler… obstacles becomes a part of the journey… once she felt he was sad… so she asked him… “Do you prefer a simpler path? Do you wish that none of these obstacles exist? Do you wish you had it all as easily as possible?”…. he looked at her concealed behind his smile and said… “NO!... am not stupid to think this way! I feel strong… and I will never be weakened”… silently she prayed “I hope this is right!”… and so they continue their way… until… the road diverged… and as always… one is less traveled by… she didn’t think nor ask him… she just went on to that road… because this is her way of traveling… she wasn’t thinking about what he might’ve chosen! And then when she looked back to see him… he wasn’t there!.... she saw his shadow walking in the road widen by more people… silently she stood observing him there… and then she look at the road she was walking alone now! So she sighed…]]
My friend had a pause… I was waiting for the rest of her story or answer… but she kept on being silent… I asked her… then why did she sigh? She looked at me and said… “That’s why!” and she went away… leaving me puzzled…
Why did she sigh? Did he sigh?
I wondered… I couldn’t stop thinking why?! But then maybe… after all… the emotions of that moment whether they are bitter or sweet… happy or sad… relief or anger… they are personal… they should be concealed behind that sigh… no one can understand them… and maybe no one should seek to understand them… because once your time comes… you might sigh! And at the end… each will walk his/her path…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, :-)